The AutoCommit is an over-site that I need to fix.  You may
/opt init_autocommit=0, but it doesn't turn autocommit off.  It just sets
the value to 0.

For now,  use the "dbi:Sybase(AutoCommit=>0):..."

perldoc DBI

"You can also define connection attribute values within
           the "$data_source" parameter. For example:

             dbi:DriverName(PrintError=>0,Taint=>1):...
"

> > dbi:Sybase:server=XXXX;database=YYYY username passwd

Put quotes around dbi:Sybase...;...  If you're using Linux/Unix, the
semi-colon is interpreted as a command separator.

I've applied for a PAUSE id. Hopefully I'll have a new DBI::Shell
release soon.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Lowery