> I'm studying the DBI module to get smarter on this.  I was not able to
> complete installation on the Pg module (I have pg95perl5-1.2.0), because
> I couldn't find Pg.pm modules in the right places.  Tried to reinstall,
> but it failed on make because libpq.so.1 is missing from
> usr/local/pgsql/lib. Tried checking www.cpan.org today to make sure that
> I have the correct Pg module, but it was down.

You can get the latest version of DBD::Pg from
'http://dbi.symbolstone.org/index.html' which is probably what you want. I
don't think that you want be be using pg95perl5/Pg.pm.  When you get
DBD::Pg it will make you set POSTGRES_INCLUDE, and POSTGRES_LIB which tell
DBD:Pg where to find libpq.so and other things that are required to build
DBD::Pg.

By the by what version of postgres are you using? Can you connect to it
with psql? What operating system/version are you using?

> I got no errors on the PgSQL.pm install, so it would be easier for me to
> use that, presuming I can get DBD running correctly.

I don't know about that...

> Tried using perl documentation, but got only the usage index.  I can't
> run perldoc, because I get a warning: Superuser must not run ~/perldoc
> without security audit and taint checks.

perldoc will not let you run it as root. Create another user and then run
perldoc as that user || you can try "su -c nobody 'perldoc DBI'" and see
if that works.

> I have a colleague who's betting this is a total waste of time, given
> the ignorance I've just demonstrated.  But as long as I do the other
> stuff I'm supposed to be doing, trying this out still beats learning MS
> Access.

It is not a waste of time, for we all have to start somewhere. And as long
as you learn something, I would consider it a worthwhile exercise.

Later,

Rudy