Robert,

Why you intend to use ODBC in the first place? It makes more sense to
install DBD::Oracle, the DBI module then can use it as a lower level
interface to DB. This is at least one layer less between your
application code and the database itself than with the ODBC. To install
DBD::Oracle you will first need Oracle client files (e.g. binary OCI
libraries, Net8 libraries, source headers, etc) installed *on the client
machine* from which you plan to run your Perl DBI code accessing Oracle
DB, either locally or over the net. Consult your DBA person about the
availability of the client part of Oracle package. Install and configure
it properly, you can validate configuration by trying to connect to your
database server from SQLPlus client run at the same machine. If it works
-- proceed with building, testing and installing DBD::Oracle.

--
Ivan Adzhubei