I have traced it back to prepare_cached() (at least that is what I
notice).

Scott, try replacing your calls on startup with prepare() instead of
prepare_cached().

I was also able to eliminate the problem if I commented out the
following line in DBI.pm

 # $dbh->STORE('CachedKids', $cache = {}) unless $cache;   # line 1021
sub prepare_cached

Of course this is not a solution, but it may give someone else with more
knowledge enough to fix the problem. I will keep digging for answers.

--eric