David L. Good wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 10:25:10PM -0800, Jonathan Leffler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>>Did you see README.hpux in DBD::Oracle?
>>>
>>>If you are using the cc that comes with HP-UX (and not one of the
>>>compilers you have to pay for), you are out of luck.  That cc, is not
>>>even ANSI compliant.  No one to date has sent me a set of instructions
>>>for building with gcc... although some have been rumored to have done it.
>>>So you are stuck buying a compiler from HP (or Softbench).
>>>
>>There's a set of instructions on how to build GCC using the bundled HP-UX C
>>compiler in the DBD::Informix 1.00.PC1 Notes directory.  As you say, it isn't
>>easy.  I did the work on HP-UX 10.20, but I think it would also apply to
>>11.0.  I had to build 5 or 6 other GNU packages before building the compiler
>>itself - things like sed needed an upgrade.  I also did it with GCC 2.95.x;
>>it pre-dates the 3.0.x releases.
>>
>>And there are places where you can download pre-built versions of GCC, which
>>would be worth exploring too.
>>

>Unfortunately, the problem is that there is no generally known way to build
>DBD::Oracle with gcc.  There are rumors that it is possible, but nobody has
>published a procedure to get it to work.

Umm... Works for me?  It was a mild PITA, but nothing horrible.  This
was back in aug 2001, so I dont' remember every detail of what I did.
 What I usually do is get one of the prebuildt gcc binaries and use it
only to build a proper gcc (the ones on the porting archives are always
quite old).  I remember I had to do most of the things listed in
README.hpux and track down some library somewhere.  I've still got the
Makefile and such in the source tree if that would be useful to anyone.
 I just tried a 'make test' on it again and it works fine.
  This is  DBI 1.19, DBD::Oracle 1.08 on an old 715 workstation. running
hpux 11.00, gcc is 2.95.3, Oracle 8.16

Now if only it worked the other way.  On my production box I'd really
like to upgrade the old  DBD::Oralce 0.47 install, but all the new stuff
since then actually makes it harder to set up on a hpux 10.2 with Oracle
7.2.3 (yes, I know, but I don't have a choice).

garyr