At 0:03 -0700 6/25/02, Will wrote:
>Greets Folks,
>
>I wrote in yesterday as per the author of the DBI
>module, but the documentation i have found really
>doesnt seem sufficient for learning the module...
>
>Is there a book I should buy for this?  I checked ou
>this book:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565926994/ref=ase_dbi/102-6988665-4359353
>
>But this is a 350 page book, and I am just starting
>out.
>
>Is there something a little more concise?  I've got
>Paul DuBois' book MySQL and Perl for the Web, but I
>feel like maybe I shoudl focus more on the DBI module
>itself before going too much further into DuBois'
>book.
>
>What would you folks recommend?

Most of MySQL and Perl for the Web is fairly database-independent,
in the sense that its discussion of DBI isn't tied specifically
to MySQL.  On the other hand, it's an application-writing book, not
a reference book.  If you're looking for the latter, I suggest
Descartes and Bunce, the O'Reilly book that you reference above.
That's what I use when I need to look up something that's not
in "perldoc DBI".  Their book has received some criticism along
the lines that it's little more than what you can get from the online
docs, but I don't think that criticism is particularly accurate.  Yes,
the book does include the perldoc material (why wouldn't it?) but
goes beyond it.