On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 09:45:35AM -0500, Paul DuBois wrote:

> Most of MySQL and Perl for the Web is fairly database-independent,
> in the sense that its discussion of DBI isn't tied specifically
> to MySQL.  On the other hand, it's an application-writing book, not
> a reference book.  If you're looking for the latter, I suggest
> Descartes and Bunce, the O'Reilly book that you reference above.
> That's what I use when I need to look up something that's not
> in "perldoc DBI".  Their book has received some criticism along
> the lines that it's little more than what you can get from the online
> docs, but I don't think that criticism is particularly accurate.  Yes,
> the book does include the perldoc material (why wouldn't it?) but
> goes beyond it.

[Random observation] One comment I've seen several times is that some
people skip Chapter 2 "Basic Non-DBI Databases" because they think
it's not useful to them.  In fact Chapter 2 discusses useful concepts
including serialization that are valuable foundations to a deeper
understanding of databases and how the DBI can be used.

Tim.