On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 11:40  AM, Jeff Boes wrote:

I received the following communication from Tom Lane, who is active in
PostgreSQL development:

... without so much as a "ta-ta" in the release notes. Hmph. Well, is
there any hope that a search-and-replace will convert old source code to
using the new table?
It shouldn't be a difficult change.  Be aware that pg_constraint has
more stuff in it than pg_relcheck did, so you'll want to add "WHERE
contype = 'c'" to be sure you only see the rows corresponding to the
old pg_relcheck table.
I chatted with Bruce Momjian about this a bit, too. My idea: PostgreSQL should provide functions that do this sort of thing, so that psql, DBD::Pg, org.postgresql.jdbc, and PostgreSQL ODBC can just use the functions without worrying about the version numbers.

But then, somebody's gotta write the functions, contributed them to the project, get them committed, and then wait for 7.4 to take advantage of them. Still, it could eventually make such driver metadata requirements much more portable across later PostgreSQL versions.

Best,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory