Tim,

We started using DBI/DBD-Oracle (on 8i databases) last year and now as we
are starting to introduce 9i databases into our environment we are faced
with some new challenges.  We have over 300 databases in our environment
and run many databases on a given server.  We use perl for all of our
database infrastructure scripts (backups, exports, monitoring, etc.) which
run locally on each of our servers and basically cycle through the oratab
file to process each database on the server.

The problem we are now facing is that we will have a mixture of 8i (32-bit)
and 9i (64-bit) databases on the same server and would like to use DBI/DBD
for both, however in order to connect to the 8i databases we need a version
of DBI/DBD built against 8i and to connect to the 9i databases we need a
version built against 9i (although we have only been able to build against
9i 32-bit).  So far I haven't found a nice clean way of handling this.

Do you have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions on how to best handle this
scenario.  Has there been any consideration for having multiple drivers
(ie. one for each version of Oracle) so we can switch between them with a
single perl script?.

Thanks,
Rob