On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 09:29:09 -0500 Robert Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  It is certainly possible to do what you have
> suggested and in fact we have tested this out and it works fine.  However,
> we were hoping for a cleaner solution.  We currently cycle through the
> oratab file to set the appropriate oracle home directory for a given
> instance (if the database is 8i we use the 8i software directory and if 9i
> we use the 9i directory)  before making the database connection.  It looks
> as though we'll have to add some additional code to switch to the oracle
> home DBD::Oracle was compile with to make the DBI connection and then
> switch it back again after disconnecting.  This just seems a little clumsy
> and was wondering if others have found a more graceful solution.

I think it would be cleaner to set ORACLE_HOME to what DBD::Oracle
in that server needs and leave it there.  That way you don't have to
worry about what home applies to which instance which means less code
rather than more.

If you need to directly use files in an instance's ORACLE_HOME tree,
pass the base directory to the script by some other means than
setting ORACLE_HOME.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html