Check your $TNS_ADMIN/sqlnet.ora file for a like this:

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH = (TNSNAMES,ONAMES)

much like a nsswitch.conf it says in which order to look up information. If
you want tnsnames.ora to come first you'll have to reserve TNSNAMES and
ONAMES in the example above of course. We mostly use TNS and fix the
node-connect troubles using DNS but your approach should work as well.

What output do the sqlplus and tnsping command give ?

Frans Postma, (050-58) 81 852
ATOS Origin, Unix Support
     "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you"