Goal:
Array operations (equivalent to shift, memcpy or push/pop) are quite CPU-intensive on
the server-side, so I'm trying to load arrays client-side and take advantage of perl's
speed.  I get errors when I try to read an "array() of number" into perl.

Versions:
Perl v5.8.0 built for sun4-solaris
DBI v1.3
DBD:Oracle v1.15
Oracle 9i

SQL:
create type a_number1k as array(1000) of number;
create table tmp_arrays ( iv a_number1k );

Perl:
$dbh = DBI->connect( $dbname, $login, $password ) or die "ERROR: Cannot connect to
Oracle in db_connect()";
$sth = $dbh->prepare( "select iv from tmp_arrays" );

Output:
DBD::Oracle::db prepare failed: ERROR OCIDefineObject call needed but not implemented
yet [for statement ``select iv from tmp_arrays''])

Question:
How can I load an array into perl then write it back to Oracle?  I'm dealing with 200
million arrays.  Is there a way to keep it in binary form, e.g., cast it to/from a
BLOB?

Thank you for your help!

Bruce Hartleben