On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 09:00:23PM -0500, Lincoln A. Baxter wrote:

> > Is there a change in 1.16 that would cause this to become an issue,

The Changes file (which I presume you read before upgrading) says
"This release has major changes to Unicode support. See below."
and
"Added automatic support for UTF-8 for both NLS_LANG and NLS_NCHAR
    Many thanks to Lincoln Baxter who did most of the hard work and testing
    and to Jeff Urlwin and others who also helped out.
    Perl 5.8.x and Oracle 9+ are highly recommended if you want to use Unicode.
    See POD for more information and documentation."

and the POD says, well it's several pages and you can read it here:
    http://search.cpan.org/~timb/DBD-Oracle-1.16/Oracle.pm#Unicode

> > since backing down to 1.15 makes the issue vanish. And it appears that
> > _everyone_ I have on Oracle hits the issue when going up to 1.16.
>
> Well, you can always diff the files... it is open source after all.

And it's trivial to do... take a look:

http://search.cpan.org/diff?from=DBD-Oracle-1.16&to=DBD-Oracle-1.15

> Since you say this breaks _every_ one of your customers, however, I find
> myself wondering if you have something mis-configured, or at least
> pretty unique in your database or environment.

Seems odd that it breaks for all your customers but not for you.
That implies that your test environment (which I presume you have)
doesn't match that of your customers. That would need fixing.

Until you can produce a small self-contained test case the reproduces
the problem there's little more we can do. But once you do have a test
case that shows a problem we'll aim to get it fixed quickly.

Tim.