Jesse Erlbaum wrote:
Hey Fred --
I would just like to note that speed and reliability are largely dependent on the transaction profile of your application. If your application is read heavy, MySQL is a sound choice. However if your application consists mostly of database writes, PostgreSQL's MVCC [1] architecture and row-level locking capabilities will generally provide superior performance and reliability to MySQL.

I question your assertion that PgSQL's row-level locking is faster than
MySQL's row-level locking.  I'd like to see actual benchmarks before
saying that one particular approch is faster than another.

Fair enough. I will put together a benchmark using DBI and make the source and results open for review. I don't believe there currently any credible benchmarks in existence which can answer this question accurately.