These look like some great options and I will keep them in mind for future projects, especially DBI::Gofer. In this instance, however, the server I am working with is "production frozen" so to speak and I cannot install anything on it at all. All I can do is ask it for information. I am pursuing the other ideas offered (sybase, connect () syntax improvements, etc) for now. Thanks for the tips!

Robert