Robert Denton wrote:

Is it just me, or is using perl on a linux server to extract information from an MS SQL server insanely difficult? Has no one else struggled with this? Here is my set up:

It's just you and probably someone else.

FC4 -> PERL w/DBI -> DBD::ODBC -> unixODBC -> FreeTDS

I can suggest you a shorter path: DBI + DBD::Sybase + FreeTDS.
Some limitations apply, mainly lack of placeholders support
(but I didn't check recent freetds status). YMMV of course.

Please take a look at the archives. There has been plenty of
discussions in the past about this.

- Small thread about how to setup the thing:
  http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.dbi.users/2006/02/msg28566.html

- FreeTDS FAQ:
  http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#Which.Perl.library.should.I.use

- Look at example 6.2:
  http://www.freetds.org/userguide/perl.htm

Simple web searches for "perl DBI FreeTDS DBD::Sybase" are also
going to help a lot.

--
Cosimo