Martin Evans wrote:
Michael Leonida wrote:
I am getting 3 duplicate (3*2=6 total) redefinition of target errors when I try to make the latest DBD::ODBC 1.15 from CPAN. I am using the Borland C++
compiler on Windows XP Pro. The duplicate redefinitions occur after these
two lines in the Makefile on blank lines:

$(OBJECT) : $(PERL_HDRS)

$(OBJECT) : $(FIRST_MAKEFILE

I am also using ActivePerl 5.10.0. During running Makefile.PL I get a bunch of "probably harmless" Notes that some libraries were not found, including
ODBC32.LIB.

Here are the errors:

Error makefile 908: Redefinition of target 'ConvertUTF.obj'

Error makefile 908: Redefinition of target 'ODBC.obj'

Error makefile 908: Redefinition of target 'dbdimp.obj'

Error makefile 915: Redefinition of target 'ConvertUTF.obj'

Error makefile 915: Redefinition of target 'ODBC.obj'

Error makefile 915: Redefinition of target 'dbdimp.obj'

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

What make are you using (nmake? dmake?) and did you specify the make you are using on the command line for perl Makefile.PL e.g.,

perl Makefile.PL MAKE=nmake

Martin

This thread continued off the dbi-users list as Michael was not getting dbi-users list emails for some reason.

As it turned out, Michael was using Borland Make which it appears is not well supported by ExtUtils::MakeMaker. The following may be useful for anyone else using Borland Make:

ExtUtils::MakeMaker only specifically supports dmake and nmake on Windows and not Borland make although it does support Borlands C compiler.

There is an interesting thread on perlmonks about Borland make:

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=62924

which mentions a Perl version of make and changing your Config.pm to use it.

Also, from the Perl README for Windows (perldoc perlwin32):

Borland C++
If you are using the Borland compiler, you will need dmake. (The make that Borland supplies is seriously crippled and will not work for MakeMaker builds.)

You can get nmake from the following links:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/nmake15.exe
http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc15/Patch/1.52/W95/EN-US/Nmake15.exe

Hope this proves useful.

Martin
--