On 2008-04-17 21:43:27 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I just want to get a general feeling of the community on weather the next
> version of DBD::Oracle (1.22) should drop support for the
>
> Oracle 8 and
> Oracle 9 clients
>
> I was just reviewing the code today and there are a large number of little
> fixes here and there to make these two clients work with later versions of
> DBD::Oracle.

We still have some 8i databases, but since they can be accessed with an
Oracle 10 client[0], that's not a problem. If I have a reason to upgrade to
a newer DBD::Oracle on a machine I can just install a version 10 client
there, too.

> So I was thinking of cleaning up the code so that the next version 1.22
> only supports 9.6 and later clients?

Go ahead.

        hp

[0] Not just theoretically. I do have a number of perl scripts using a
    version 10 client which access one of the old 8i databases.
    Sometimes things are a bit weird (especially with UTF-8), but it
    works.

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | If I wanted to be "academically correct",
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | I'd be programming in Java.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |   -- Jesse Erlbaum on dbi-users