After getting the current versions of DBI and DBD::Oracle built and working, I
no longer got the error.  When I moved my "fix" from our development
environment to our test environment, I found that I still got the error.  I
started removing the items in my "fix" from the development environment to find
what really fixed it.

I did not have the ORACLE_HOME environment variable set.  On further
investigation, I found that it does not even need to be set correctly as long
as it is defined.

I hope this post will help someone else avoid my problem.

Rich White
Service Manager -- Illinois Compass

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.