On Thu Oct 30, 2008 at 02:34:55PM +0100, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:06:52 -0400, John Scoles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Ok looks like you need to use bind_param with a Blob and also tell
> > DBD::Oracle is is a Blob
> >
> > ie
> >
> >  $stu->bind_param(":p1","foo\nbar",{ ora_type => ORA_BLOB });
>
> This is a disaster to all portability!
>
> My scripts *ALL* are portable across all databases, and ORA_BLOB is
> only exported by DBD::Oracle, so in portable scripts I need to hardcode
> those constants. Not nice.

I had exactly the same issue with PostgreSQL and the BYTEA equivalent
to SQL_BLOB. Unfortunately I have no solution different to the one you
produced.

It really irks me that even though I use standard SQL and a relatively
simple set of queries I still have to cater to the underlying database
type. If anybody has ideas, or needs a tester, I'm more than happy to
contribute some time. Perhaps some kind of standard could be pushed
onto DBI/DBD::*?

Mark.
--
Mark Lawrence