External connect ( no username or password needed ) ?

What I've tried so far:
I built against Oracle 8 client and external connection ( based on
system id ) works only for oracle 8 - oracle 10 uses a wallet.
Then I built against oracle 10 - worked with wallet (external
connection) but not an external connection on oracle 8 ( system id
based ).

Currently trying to keep in separate processes by using oracle 8 build
in stand-alone DBI proxy server for 8 and using regular oracle dbi build
in current perl for oracle 10.

This works somewhat - except the 'prepare' is apparently postponed so no
values are returned and I need those values ( column names and types ).

So is there a hack to get 2 oracle dbd build ( called by different
names ) in the same perl build ?