Hard to say what is going on here but me things you are running into the 'ping' problem

Are you using Apache::DBI??

Many of these warehouse applictions reuse the same connection handel and to keep them alive they use $dbh->ping which runs a query to maintain the connection.

What version of DBD::Oracle are you using?

If you can upgrade to DBD::Oracle 1.22 (do not use 1.23 there is a bug in there that might be worse) or get the latest 1.24 version

that might solve your problem

cheers
John Scoles

Matthew Maglinte wrote:
I'm a dba supporting a warehouse database (production environment) accessed via a custom application built on open source components, one of which is dbd::oracle.

Performance monitoring shows two queries continually consuming considerable resources (cpu waits) - the query text resembling for the most part 'column_info' and 'table_info'. Over any given day, the column_info select is executed +260 times an hour, 'table_info' executed +360 times an hour.

Is this level of frequency intended? And are these calls appropriate (expected) for a static data dictionary environment?

Any response that would help my understanding would be appreciated. Thanks.

Matt Maglinte
DBA - PeMS/LCS
Department of Transportation
W:(916)445-0090