My script attaches to the database then does a query
of sysdate from dual.

Error shl_load failed for: libclntsh.sl.10.1, [errno 2: No such file or
directory]
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library: libclntsh.sl.10.1
/usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory
Error shl_load failed for: libclntsh.sl.10.1, [errno 2: No such file or
directory]
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library: libclntsh.sl.10.1
/usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory
21-APR-2010

As you can see, it complains a lot but actually does perform.
I haven't tried your SHLIB_PATH ideas yet.. will do that.

Chris