Magnus Sundberg wrote:
Bill Hacker wrote:

Aaron Stone wrote:

Writing an MTA something like opening Pandora's box. Well, except that
Pandora's box will ravage humanity quickly and if you survive that, you're OK.

<snip>

*SNIP again*

Granted, Postix (sendmail.exe on my Warp 4.5 boxen) is easier, and so too would Exim perhaps be... not all possible settings need to be touched. But neither of these, nor Sendmail, have their own IMAP or necessarily even POP3, so it is back to 'kit building'.

What about a standard package like postfix-dbmail, that depends on both postfix and dbmail for this or that distribution? Which contains the `manualĀ“ changes you need to do to the configuration files.

Still incomplete. I want the full set of daemons for SSL/TLS/***TARTTLS versions of smtp, pop, imap. I *don't* want (to have to rely on) DJB's 'demontools' or other such nastiness to keep the house in order.

The closest 'out of the tarball' complete package is Courier-mta.

My belief is that you can edit quite a lot config files for an already written software package, before you spend more time than you do to write your own package.

Certainly true - as far as it goes. But then there is no need to muck about with a DB at all. Remember - I am seeking DB *advantages* to offset the overhead an RDBMS brings.

While Courier and others have the whole range of auth mechanisms, can use any of several DB's for that - or not - having a DB for internal mailstore (DBMail) or for indexing (PowerMail) makes it easier to integrate setup/teardown/single-sign-on operation of mail services for *other* DB-based tools - specifically the 'new wave' of 'community', 'groupware', 'CMS', and 'WiKi' thingies - most of which run on a DB (MySQL, PostgreSQL, ZODB).

As I have to do 'overall' configuration of a mailserver no more than once every three months, a menu-driven script full of 'sed-inplace' expressions would *for sure* be less work.

....But it doesn't serve the long-term need.

FWIW, I am exploring 'twisted', which seems to have all I need to create (or copy & modify) the various mail SSL'ed daemons, AND can talk to PostgreSQL with reasonable efficiency.

So - it is not so much 'reinventing the wheel' as changing the type of tires, if you will.

Just my opinion, but if DBmail is to grow a following, 'me too' use of whatever-the-heck mail daemons from others will never be as attractive as 'built-in, tested, configuration integrated in the DB'.

I have never been a Python 'groupie' (FORTH threaded here) but I broke out in a belly laugh when I was able to bring up a functioning web server with just *54 characters* - including whitespace and <Enter>, fed to 'twisted' on two short command lines.

'Twisted' might provide the 'tires' DBMail needs to get rolling as an integrated package....

Thanks & regards,

Bill