Thanks, Jesse,

- here is the /etc/syslog.conf (stripped of comments):
*.err;kern.*;auth.*;*debug;mail.*;*.warning     /var/log/console.log
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
security.*                                      /var/log/security
auth.info;authpriv.info                         /var/log/auth.log
mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
cron.*                                          /var/log/cron
*.emerg                                         /var/log/emerg.log
*.warning                                       /var/log/warn.log
console.*                                       /var/log/console.log
!startslip
*.*                                             /var/log/slip.log
!ppp
*.*                                             /var/log/ppp.log
Note that almost *nothing* should be going to the console... not even kernel messages... (server is normally unattended..).

And all the /var/log<whatever> files exist, are owned by root:wheel, and chmod'ed to 600.

The *real* problem (source of the messages) seems to be that DBMail's daemons, dbmail-imapd and dbmail-pop3d go into runaway when they are invoked. Error messages indicate they create all their authorized quota of child processes before (or while) connecting to the DB. Not clear if the first connection succeeeds, but the second and subsequent surely fail with:

  PQconnectdb failed: FATAL:  Sorry, too many clients already

Thereafter, we get:

  PQconnectdb failed: FATAL:  Non-superuser connection limit exceeded

- So far, in dbmail.conf, I have backed down the number of processes and children permitted to ONE, but each failure is 'FATAL' and spawns a new one anyway, and does not always get the zombies cleared out (though a killall <daemon-name> does do so - after a pause).

There *were* bugs discussed in this area of DBMail that consumed 100% of CPU resources, BUT, IIRC they were allegedly fixed months ago (at least w/r MySQL <G>). Maybe not w/r pgsql?

FWIW, dbmail-smtp works fine to the postgreSQL DB, so I am off to compare source code in search of "MySQL'ism's" ...

Regards,

Bill

Jesse Norell wrote:

Hello,

  Dbmail logs via syslog, and you can adjust the verbosity
of what it logs in dbmail.conf.  Probably your syslogd is
setup to print messages on the console or to some tty, which
is usually set in /etc/syslogd.conf (but if your don't find
anything there, check the manpage for your syslogd server).
If you can't figure out how to get it setup the way you want,
post back with the contents of your syslog.conf (you can strip
all commented lines if you want), and describe what you want
it to do/not do, and we can probably help get you going.

jn