Hello,

> - here is the /etc/syslog.conf (stripped of comments):
> *.err;kern.*;auth.*;*debug;mail.*;*.warning     /var/log/console.log

  That should probably be "*.debug" - dunno what'll happen with
that particular typo (probably syslogd dependant).

> *.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
> security.*                                      /var/log/security
> auth.info;authpriv.info                         /var/log/auth.log
> mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
> lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
> cron.*                                          /var/log/cron
> *.emerg                                         /var/log/emerg.log
> *.warning                                       /var/log/warn.log

> console.*                                       /var/log/console.log
> !startslip
> *.*                                             /var/log/slip.log
> !ppp
> *.*                                             /var/log/ppp.log

  These last 3 look a bit odd - I think they would generate an error
on my syslogd (linux).  There is no "console," "startslip," nor "ppp"
facility ... perhaps your syslogd handles those differently.  In
any case, there is nothing writing to /dev/console or any other
device that would make those show up on the console.  You might check
and see if you have another process running that tails console.log
and dumps it to your console (which indeed would include your dbmail
messages, per your first syslog.conf line).  If so, take mail.*
out (maybe leave mail.crit or something), and make a new line for
just the mail logs, pointing to some other file (eg. mail.log); and
remember to log rotate that file, or your disk will be filled over
time.

 The *real* problem (source of the messages) seems to be that DBMail's
> daemons, dbmail-imapd and dbmail-pop3d go into runaway when they are
> invoked.  Error messages indicate they create all their authorized
quota
> of child processes before (or while) connecting to the DB. Not clear if
> the first connection succeeeds, but the second and subsequent surely
> fail with:
>
>    PQconnectdb failed: FATAL:  Sorry, too many clients already
>
> Thereafter, we get:
>
>    PQconnectdb failed: FATAL:  Non-superuser connection limit exceeded
>
> - So far, in dbmail.conf, I have backed down the number of processes
and
> children permitted to ONE, but each failure is 'FATAL' and spawns a new
> one anyway, and does not always get the zombies cleared out (though a
> killall <daemon-name> does do so - after a pause).

  Perhaps we could add some rudimentary "something must be wrong"
checking that if a whole set of NCHILDREN children die FATALly
without handling any connections, the master process could assume
(or test) that further children will also die, and exit cleanly.
That of course doesn't fix your problem, but would probably be
good behavior.

  As for your problem, check max_connections and
superuser_reserved_connections values in postgresql.conf (and
any command-line overrides).... other than that, nothing comes
to mind.

> There *were* bugs discussed in this area of DBMail that consumed
100% of
> CPU resources, BUT, IIRC they were allegedly fixed months ago (at least
> w/r MySQL <G>). Maybe not w/r pgsql?

  The 2 I recall were a signal handling problem in the linux kernel
and the need to compile with -fomit-frame-pointer.

> FWIW, dbmail-smtp works fine to the postgreSQL DB, so I am off to
> compare source code in search of "MySQL'ism's" ...
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill
>
> Jesse Norell wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> >   Dbmail logs via syslog, and you can adjust the verbosity
> > of what it logs in dbmail.conf.  Probably your syslogd is
> > setup to print messages on the console or to some tty, which
> > is usually set in /etc/syslogd.conf (but if your don't find
> > anything there, check the manpage for your syslogd server).
> > If you can't figure out how to get it setup the way you want,
> > post back with the contents of your syslog.conf (you can strip
> > all commented lines if you want), and describe what you want
> > it to do/not do, and we can probably help get you going.
> >
> > jn

installation, to