I'm thinking that, for example, some option that determines how messages are
delivered might be re-read by the lmtp server as each message is delivered.
That way, you just change the option in the database and it immediately takes
effect from then on. In contrast, you'd make changed to the config options and
then send a SIGHUP, which would cause the daemon to re-read its configs.

Aaron