Ed,

 I read your spec, seems like this will work fine but make sure you add
and implement XOVER section 2.8 from rfc2980 this is the _most_ important
command in an nntp server as far as current clients today. Be carefully
to take into account that article numbers are not uniq on the servers out
in the wild, so you will need to implement a renumbering system for any
postings. For ease of use I would also suggest you implement XPAT as a
feature as well.

-leif