A final followup for tonight: Those non-ascii chars were not there at the beginning of the original message. So all this is quite likely related to the parser bug (or another parser bug) after all.

Paul J Stevens wrote:
Got it:

mysql> SELECT messageblk into dumpfile '/tmp/messageblks.blob' FROM messageblks WHERE physmessage_id = '299658' ORDER BY messageblk_idnr;

Hey! There's that dump utility we were talking about.

Looks like non-ascii chars at the start of the second messageblk (or end of the first...) is what's causing _ic_fetch to fail.

Blake Mitchell wrote:

I still get both the unparseable message and empty message problems (post rc4 CVS) occasionally, the empty message happens more often, about once a day or so. For the empty messages it's a matter of the imap server not pulling the whole message, because dbmail-smtp does put it all in there if I look with the command line mysql client. What can I provide to help solve these problems? Is there a way to have the mysql client dump the messageblks as hex or something which will better show the non printing characters?

Paul J Stevens wrote:

Ilja Booij wrote:

OK great.

Now I think we only need to fix the parser error that Aaron found. Aaron won't be back until monday, and he's the only one who's had this problem, which kind of prevents us from doing anything about it at the moment.

There's one other problem that's bugging me. I sometimes get empty messages showing up. I thought it was a problem with thunderbird, but it isn't. Apparently, messages sometimes only get one messageblk for the headers, and that's it.

I could be related to Aaron's problem, but I'm not sure. It could also be a problem with my dbmail database. I will investigate further.

Meanwhile, I'll add the IMAP test script to the distribution. Can I just slam a GPL notice on it, or do you want another license (it's your code :) )?

Feel free to add the GPL notice, but please add my name as well :-)

Also, there's one project out there that looks interesting:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mstone/
"""
Mstone is a multi-protocol stress and performance measurement tool. Mstone can test multiple protocols simultaneously and measures the performance of every transaction. The performance can be graphed throughout the duration of the test.
"""

Very useful as I'll resume work on my preforking patch, and we start thinking about the C10K problem.

http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html