des-crypt uses the first two chars from the encrypted char[13] string as salt.
md5-crypt (a gnu extension) uses as slightly different approach

Micah wrote:
When comparing a supplied password with a stored pw using crypt(), what salt should I use? Doesn't this have to match the salt originally used to generate the crypt()'d password?

try it. The original salt will be there in the encrypted password: the first two chars.

I haven't dealt with this function before. Sorry if it's a dumb question.

try:
 man 3 crypt.

  Paul Stevens                                  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  NET FACILITIES GROUP                     PGP: finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  The Netherlands________________________________http://www.nfg.nl