> > I have a few questions / suggestions for 2.0 that might
> > need to be implemented to schema before 2.0 is released.
> >
> > 1. Support for compressed message body
>
> I believe that postgresql already compresses text fields that exceed a
> certain size, so think is already being handled at the DB level.
> Granted the compression PG uses is designed for speed more than size.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/datatype-character.html

Interesting..  Very little documentation on that tho..

But from what I have managed to dig up, I have found that you need to
create the database with this parameter: "storage=extended" (dafault is
plain) for the compression and the moving of the object out of the
table.

So this is not really a good solution I think, since it has the
following disadvantages:
-Uses a less used storage tecnique, possibility of errors occur
-Very little documented (As far as I could tell)
-It does not compress/move all data, only that of a certain size
 And what is that size? 100K? 10M? It only says max 1GB.
-Compression ratio is probably lower
-CPU load will be on the dataase server, this is a BAD thing in a
 big system with several other servers running the smtp and pop3
 daemons.

Thus I still vote for implementation of the blobs and is_compressed
flag. Are there any negative sides to this approach?

-=Dead2=-