A BUGNOTE has been added to this bug.
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=0000072
Reported By:                paul
Assigned To:
Project:                    DBMail
Bug ID:                     72
Category:                   installation scripts
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   feature
Date Submitted:             23-Aug-04 14:16 CEST
Last Modified:              23-Aug-04 18:07 CEST
Man pages are currently all in section 1, whereas they all belong in
section 8 with the possible exception of dbmail-smtp

 ilja - 23-Aug-04 14:35 CEST
Makes sense:

section 1 is for user commands
section 8 is for admin commands.

I don't know about dbmail-smtp though.. It makes sense to put it in
section 1, but  it will probably never be run by users. So section 8 will
perhaps be more appropriate..

 paul - 23-Aug-04 15:10 CEST
Given the fact that dbmail-smtp may very well be run from .procmailrc or
command-line (cat oldmailbox|formail -ds /usr/sbin/dbmail-smtp -u
mydbmailuser), I'd say that users may indeed run dbmail-smtp.

 ilja - 23-Aug-04 16:03 CEST
Good point.

We might as well move the man pages to the appropriate section then. All
pages in section 8, except for dbmail-smtp

Things to do:
* change manpage source. (change 1 after title to 8)
* change manpage extension to .8
* change man/Makefile.am to new filenames
* automake && autoreconf

anything else?

 aaron - 23-Aug-04 18:07 CEST
I've been opposed to moving the man pages because things like MySQL are all
man.1, with the logic being that if the system is nothing but a smoking
pile of disks, mysql isn't going to be the sort of admin tool that will
recover it.

But if there's a concensus to move to man.8, I'm not going to worry too
much.

Bug History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change
23-Aug-04 14:16paul           New Bug
23-Aug-04 14:35ilja           Bugnote Added: 0000185
23-Aug-04 15:10paul           Bugnote Added: 0000186
23-Aug-04 16:03ilja           Bugnote Added: 0000189
23-Aug-04 16:04ilja           Status                   new => confirmed
23-Aug-04 18:07aaron          Bugnote Added: 0000190