The following bug has been CLOSED
http://www.dbmail.org/mantis/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=0000072
Reported By:                paul
Assigned To:                aaron
Project:                    DBMail
Bug ID:                     72
Category:                   installation scripts
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   feature
Date Submitted:             23-Aug-04 14:16 CEST
Last Modified:              03-Sep-04 13:39 CEST
Man pages are currently all in section 1, whereas they all belong in
section 8 with the possible exception of dbmail-smtp

 ilja - 23-Aug-04 14:35 CEST
Makes sense:

section 1 is for user commands
section 8 is for admin commands.

I don't know about dbmail-smtp though.. It makes sense to put it in
section 1, but  it will probably never be run by users. So section 8 will
perhaps be more appropriate..

 paul - 23-Aug-04 15:10 CEST
Given the fact that dbmail-smtp may very well be run from .procmailrc or
command-line (cat oldmailbox|formail -ds /usr/sbin/dbmail-smtp -u
mydbmailuser), I'd say that users may indeed run dbmail-smtp.

 ilja - 23-Aug-04 16:03 CEST
Good point.

We might as well move the man pages to the appropriate section then. All
pages in section 8, except for dbmail-smtp

Things to do:
* change manpage source. (change 1 after title to 8)
* change manpage extension to .8
* change man/Makefile.am to new filenames
* automake && autoreconf

anything else?

 aaron - 23-Aug-04 18:07 CEST
I've been opposed to moving the man pages because things like MySQL are all
man.1, with the logic being that if the system is nothing but a smoking
pile of disks, mysql isn't going to be the sort of admin tool that will
recover it.

But if there's a concensus to move to man.8, I'm not going to worry too
much.

 danweber - 24-Aug-04 18:49 CEST
I have been saying this for ages.  *sigh* I was the one who told you Paul
;)

Dan

 paul - 24-Aug-04 19:18 CEST
Yeah, Dan. You were right. But instead of fixing it for the debian packages
only I thought it would be easier to file a bug upstream.

 ilja - 25-Aug-04 15:30 CEST
Paul, since you have CVS write access, can you do this? Not that I'm not
willing to.. I've managed to screw up the autotools setup on my Linux box
(on the Mac is was already dysfunctional) and cannot use it anymore...
after running automake, configure doesn't produce a Makefile that can be
used by make...

 paul - 25-Aug-04 17:08 CEST
tag: branch_2_0

I've committed all the required changes.

 aaron - 29-Aug-04 11:12 CEST
Paul committed the changes, so this is closed now.

Bug History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change
23-Aug-04 14:16paul           New Bug
23-Aug-04 14:35ilja           Bugnote Added: 0000185
23-Aug-04 15:10paul           Bugnote Added: 0000186
23-Aug-04 16:03ilja           Bugnote Added: 0000189
23-Aug-04 16:04ilja           Status                   new => confirmed
23-Aug-04 18:07aaron          Bugnote Added: 0000190
24-Aug-04 18:49danweber       Bugnote Added: 0000196
24-Aug-04 19:18paul           Bugnote Added: 0000198
25-Aug-04 15:30ilja           Bugnote Added: 0000204
25-Aug-04 17:08paul           Bugnote Added: 0000205
29-Aug-04 11:12aaron          Bugnote Added: 0000209
29-Aug-04 11:12aaron          Assigned To               => aaron
29-Aug-04 11:12aaron          Resolution               open => fixed
29-Aug-04 11:12aaron          Status                   confirmed => resolved
03-Sep-04 13:39ilja           Status                   resolved => closed