udo wrote:
Hi, I don't want to bombard the dev-list, so I mail you this time directly.

I'm moving this back to the list nonetheless.

you wrote:
We need functionality like 'vacation': - add an X-Dbmail-Loop header, and never reply to message that have such a header. - never reply to mailer-daemons or mailinglists - never reply to the same address more that i.e. once a week. Especially those first two are absolute requirements if we are to support this feature.
1:
X-Dbmail-Loop header:
I think it will not help, becouse when it replied by another autoreply/vacantion it will be ping-pong also.

So that makes the third point a requirement that will fix this.

For example OpenWebmail: vacation

Return-Path: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> X-Original-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Delivered-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Received: by pumukli.udo.hu (Postfix, from userid 500) id 56CADC588; Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:19:34 +0100 (CET) To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] From: "Fischer, Udo Attila" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Automata válasz...[Re: semmi] Precedence: junk Message-Id: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:19:34 +0100 (CET) Status: R

So don't reply to Precedence: junk.

I You look at my code, I have put a possible anti pingpong, with no need of headers, code under name: patch udo 3 I have tested and it seems to work... (With other types of autoreply or vacantion, only one cicle will be made, but other autoreply/vacantion code have the same problem)

I solved this once already in a python setup:

1. The sender must not be daemon, mailer-daemon or postmaster.
2. The destination user's address must be in the To, or CC header.
3. Maintain a cache of (sender, timestamp last autoreply) and don't send autoreplies more than once a week.

the first will filter out mta generated email.
the second will very effectively filter out mailing lists and most spam.
the third will prevent loops from braindead autorepliers.

All this makes for a very simple setup.

I think your idea to use the delivered-to field as a reply-to field is very dangerous. If mail comes in that doesn't specify the recipient in the To or CC fields chances are pretty good that you are dealing with BCC, be it from a mailinglist or a spammer. Neither should be replied to.

  Paul Stevens                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  NET FACILITIES GROUP                     GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31