Paul J Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Aaron Stone wrote:

>> Are you suggesting that we would check the To and CC fields against a
>> user's aliases, and only send vacations for things which appear to be
>> "personally adressed" to the recipient?
>
> My point exactly.

Either this was a useful clarification, or I read your reply to Udo to
quickly... in any event, let's step back a second:

Sieve can provide vacation support, and can do it in a [draft] RFC manner
(the managesieve protocol, which is reasonably well supported).

libSieve's vacation mechanism requires certain information from the
calling application, and hands back a suggested vacation response, which
the caller can choose to send if the right criteria are met. There's a
struct in libSieve, (which will probably be replaced with a chattier
function that takes more flexible arguments at some point), here it is:

typedef struct sieve2_vacation_context {
    int min_response; /* 0 -> defaults to 3 */
    int max_response; /* 0 -> defaults to 90 */

    /* In Sieve 2, send_response is right here */
    struct {
        char *addr;
        char *fromaddr;
        char *subj;
        char *msg;
        int mime;
    } send;

    /* In Sieve 2, check_response is right here */
    struct {
        unsigned char *hash;
        int len;
        int days;
    } check;
} sieve2_vacation_context_t;

If we can build the foundation of vacation support that provides the
necessary checks for whether or not a message should get a vacation reply,
then we can plug it right into libSieve and put together a big piece of
the sieve puzzle.

Aaron