> >   Vacation is only sent to an address once per day. And
> >   thus is not looping.
> >   IF vacation message is on then auto-reply messages are
> >   not to be sent.
> >
> > ex: [EMAIL PROTECTED] will want auto-replies on EVERY
> >     mail, but this is not needed for auto-vacation messages.
>
> You will *never* want auto-replies to every message. If you want this kind of
automated response you should
> use a special robot. Many support trackers have this feature. All mailinglist
managers have it. Dbmail's
> auto-reply feature will be along the lines of a vacation facility: max 1 reply
per destination/recipient per
> day or week, and never reply to mailer-daemons/list-managers/postmaster/etc...

  If the time period for which replied-to addrs are kept is customizable
per user (or even make it per auto-reply message, if you want to have multiple
messages active per user), Hans' desired behavior could be implimented
somewhat - just set a very short time to remember replied-to addrs for the
support user (eg. 5-15 minutes).  That would actually seem like a nice middle-
ground between the two (one/day vs. 20/hr) because if you were corresponding
with a user promptly and sent several messages w/in a few minutes, they wouldn't
get bombarded with all the "we got your message" replies.

--
Jesse Norell
jesse @ kci.net