On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 23:54 -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
> > > I think to be pedantically correct, this should be UTC, not GMT.  I
> > > seem to recall that they're not completely equivalent.
> >
> > UTC doesn't honor leap seconds. I don't know of any other (earthly) time
> > zone that doesn't, so I still maintain GMT is better for dbmail.
>
> Ah, right.
>
> Well, if the other timezones adjust for leap seconds, then they do so
> relative to UTC, right?

More systems are capable of going local->GMT than are local->UTC. Those
that can do the latter can probably do local->ANY and are rare.

> So if dbmail needs to truly be timezone agnostic, then it should use UTC, yes?

Not if it causes problems.

>   The clients can then figure
> out what adjustments to make to the dates that are presented to them
> based on their local timezone.

I take it you've never been to Pizania (exactly π hours -GMT) :)

Time zones are stupid. Few programs handle "most" earthly time zones,
let a alone all of them. Only scientific software interested in
celestial time needs UTC. Everyone else uses "local time".

People genuinely interested in UTC will use it and know how to convert
to GMT. People living in Redmond, on the other hand, will not. Best to
stay with GMT.

--
Internet Connection High Quality Web Hosting
http://www.internetconnection.net/