Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             09-Jun-05 10:00 CEST
Last Modified:              14-Jun-05 09:17 CEST
In an e-mail client (I have been using Apple Mail), select a number of mail
messages (20+) and drag them into an IMAP inbox or folder. The upload goes
slow and quite often, although not always, the IMAP daemon starts looping,
consuming all available CPU on the system, causing a denial of service
situation for most other users.

Uploading a single messages or a small number of messages typically goes
well.

 sr - 09-Jun-05 16:59 CEST
We recently migrated a customer's mail service from cyrus to dbmail 2.0.4

We added the new server and let the users move their mail from the old
mailbox to the new one (the client is OE 6). Some of them have 5-6
thousand messages and they moved hundreds of them at a time with no
problem whatsoever.

Of course I'm not denying you had a problem, but it might be something
related to your system/mail client

edited on: 09-Jun-05 16:59

 paul - 09-Jun-05 18:51 CEST
I would appreciate a trace_level=5 log of such a transaction. It could well
be AppleMail is using some combination of commands that triggers this.

 robertcl - 11-Jun-05 15:41 CEST
It is likely so that Apple Mail (the one in MacOS X) uses unusual
combinations of IMAP commands that triggers the behavior. At one time I've
also used Microsoft OE under Windows to perform similar uploads without any
effects on the load of the system.

 robertcl - 13-Jun-05 15:53 CEST
I just happened to watch it happen, unfortunately with trace_level=1. I
dumped a small part of the log to a text file, which is uploaded as
"imapd.log".

 aaron - 13-Jun-05 16:08 CEST
At trace_level=1, the only thing I see is that the message:
"dbmsgbuf.c,db_dump_range: adding '^M' to buf"

...should be at a higher trace level, because it is a minor debugging
message.

Anything other than trace_level=5 will not be useful.

 robertcl - 13-Jun-05 16:23 CEST
Please disregard my last comment. I just checked and noticed that IMAPD is
indeed set to log_level=5
in /etc/dbmail.conf (generating a truly astonishing amount of information
on a busy production
system). Thus, "dbmsgbuf.c,db_dump_range: adding '^M' to buf" is about as
much information as you can get.

 robertcl - 13-Jun-05 16:33 CEST
The file imapd2.log shows the start of a typical command, which then
continues as shown in imapd.log. With two imap daemons executing similar
such commands, 45.7% of the CPU is spend in system space and 6.1% is spent
in user space.

However this doesn't represent the more severe condition I originally
reported. I'm still working on trying to get good logs of that.

 aaron - 13-Jun-05 20:39 CEST
Yeah -- I noticed that the message is in fact at TRACE_DEBUG -- that's
level 5. I wonder if the "adding '^M' to buf" message being repeated at
such a high rate is the actual looping problem?

Unfortunately we can't simulate anything until we have the imap commands
that were issued. Are you handy with a packet sniffer? It might be easier
to just grab the entire session over-the-wire. I actually haven't done
this for more than simply trivial network testing, so hopefully either you
or somebody else can post better directions.

Thanks for persevering through this bug report! We'll find the bug
eventually :-)

 paul - 14-Jun-05 09:17 CEST
I see a faulty lower-bounds check in db_dump_range. Not sure that's the
problem here though. I've committed a fix. Robert, could you please test a
little?

Bug History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change
09-Jun-05 10:00robertcl       New Bug
09-Jun-05 16:58sr             Bugnote Added: 0000732
09-Jun-05 16:59sr             Bugnote Edited: 0000732
09-Jun-05 18:51paul           Bugnote Added: 0000733
11-Jun-05 15:41robertcl       Bugnote Added: 0000736
13-Jun-05 15:52robertcl       File Added: imapd.log
13-Jun-05 15:53robertcl       Bugnote Added: 0000738
13-Jun-05 16:08aaron          Bugnote Added: 0000739
13-Jun-05 16:23robertcl       Bugnote Added: 0000740
13-Jun-05 16:30robertcl       File Added: imapd2.log
13-Jun-05 16:33robertcl       Bugnote Added: 0000741
13-Jun-05 20:39aaron          Bugnote Added: 0000742
14-Jun-05 09:17paul           Bugnote Added: 0000743