Hi Geo,

> But even working init.d scripts and working daemons can be killed or
> stopped for lots of reasons, and unless you duplicate the work of init,
> or manually intervene, they won't start back up.

I read that argument several times now but I still think init doesn't
help here.

I have to monitor my processes - it doesn't matter how I start them.
What if my webserver doesn't answer requests but is still running? Init
doesn't care.
That's why I use monit [1] and let it check if the process is running
and if it serves a specific HTML, PHP, CGI page. If any test fails I
always try to kill all the processes and restart them.
With init I could only leave out the 'restart' part.

Additionally monit watches the ressources a process uses and can warn or
restart it based on the ressource usage.
RSBAC [2] can be used to enforce ressource usage (besides its main job).

[1] http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/
[2] http://www.rsbac.org/

Thomas