On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 15:01 -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Geo Carncross wrote:
> > This might actually be easier- All three supported databases (in a
> > way)
> > support a concept of access controls. With MySQL and Pg, each
> > "mailbox"
> > could be given a separate table (unless per-row grant rights are
> > possible), and then it'd be the SQL servers' job. Something they've
> > already got to spend a lot of effort into.
>
> At best that only limits the amount of damage an injection attack can
> do. If you want to protect against injection attacks, the only
> logical way to do it is to use bound parameters.

The thing is it limits the amount of damage to the amount of damage that
could be caused anyway: What really is the difference between DELETE
FROM dbmail_physblah; and A01 DELETE INBOX

> That doesn't mean that using appropriate database security isn't a
> good thing... it is.

Unfortunately, at the moment, I don't know of any SQL engine that
supports row-based security except (maybe) SQLite... and as I already
mentioned SQLite can't be trusted because it's in-core.

--
Internet Connection High Quality Web Hosting
http://www.internetconnection.net/