I have my two cents about these message storage ideas...

The message is now broke into many parts because some database concerns, correct?
Why not broke into MIME parts, just like the messages are organized?
why not get out binary content from the database? I mean, an image does not need to be "searched", so why not keep it as a simple file? the name of the file coult use an id and the user name, and would save processing power from the database. In fact, I think any attachment can be out from the database. Can you imagine a real world situation where you NEED to search inside an attachment?

[]s, gandhi

--
Ricardo Andere de Mello
ONG Quilombo Digital - Presidente