I am not familiar with the logging code, but it seems clear to me that the dbmail apps should be using the mail facility with a level of one of the following: emerg, alert, err, warning, notice, info and debug. These are the levels that syslog itself handles. We should then go back and adjust every TRACE() call to put the message into the correct category. Syslogd can then be used to direct debug to one file and the rest to another, etc. The dbmail.conf should then allow a comma seperated list of these 7 levels to be defined as active, thus only those levels are logged to syslog as we don't want to just log the full debug to syslogd and then have syslogd do the filtering.

Our current logging should map as follows
0   -> emerg         (out of memory, app crashed)
1   -> alert            (can't connect to db)
2 -> err (external apps/libs return failures - like sieve blows major chunks)
new  -> warning     (user login failures)
3 -> notice (user logins/logouts) 4 -> info (like pop3/imap commands)
5   -> debug        (db calls)

This is my idea anyway, and given I find some free time, I would like to contribute to adjusting TRACE() calls to match a proper syslog level.

-Jon

Aaron Stone wrote:
Yes, sorry for the confusion. In the process of cleaning up which
messages were at which level, I needed more space in the middle, which
became level 3.

5 is tell me too much, including stupid stuff (developer debug level)
4 is tell me lots of juicy details
3 is tell what's happening in a broad way
2 is tell me if something is mildly wrong
1 is tell me if something is really wrong
0 is tell me if the ship has sunk itself

I believe the documentation on which level was default lagged... no,
actually, the documentation is still off :0

Aaron