Sorry for the jargon response. The schema is described here:

http://dbmail.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=er-model

users -> mailboxes -> messages -> physmessages -> messageblks.

The physmessages and messgaeblks tables holds the raw bytes of the
message. They doesn't know what mailbox it is in or which user owns the
message. It is the messages and mailboxes tables that contain those
mappings.

When a message is deleted in IMAP, it is flagged \Delete in messages.
When you expunge the mailbox, the message is internally marked with a
status = 'deleted' in DBMail. When you run dbmail-util, messages with
status 'purged' are destroyed, while messages with status 'deleted' are
marked to be 'purged'.

If you simply don't purge the messages, that's one approach to having a
forever record of the message.

Once a physmessages is no longer references by any messages, it is
deleted, and its messageblks are deleted, too.

When a mailbox is deleted, however, those steps are not followed; the
messages rows are removed from the database directly; so in that
respect, it is not a good forever record of the message.

Aaron