I think, that is very good idea! This opens also the ability to implement features that IMAP do not cover. I made this with this once to access the Sieve-Scripts and it worked pretty well. Changing the password inside Owncloud would also be nice!

Do you have a open git repository? Maybe it is a good idea to base it on a REST-API! :)