On 27 January 2012 17:02, Julien Cojan <julien.co...@inria.fr> wrote:

> On 01/24/2012 07:23 PM, Jimmy O'Regan wrote:
>> The images (and other media: video, audio) are separate files: they
>> are not part of the database dumps. All of the text in each wikipedia
>> can be reasonably expected to be free, and can be considered to be a
>> single work.
>
> Does it mean that a link towards a copyrighted data is not copyrighted ?

IANAL, TINLA, consult a lawyer, etc., but 'probably not'. A link is
'mere fact' under US law, and not eligible for copyright protection.
If all you're talking about is providing a set of triples that include
links to images on wikimedia commons, then there should be absolutely
no problem.

> In this case would it be possible to link dbpedia instances to any image
> from Wikimedia Commons provided that the license terms are also specified ?
>
> As I see the copyrights are indicated by Templates in Wikimedia Commons
> pages. Would it be possible to use mappings to related this templates to
> license terms in RDF ?

Yes. There would be some effort involved, as there are quite a number
of templates just for licence, but it's definitely possible.

If you've been following other threads on this mailing list, you may
have seen the recent Ookaboo announcement, which may be what you're
looking for.

--
<Sefam> Are any of the mentors around?
<jimregan> yes, they're the ones trolling you