On 24 January 2012 16:20, Julien Cojan <julien.co...@inria.fr> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Dimitris,
>
> However I don't get about the implications on the usability in different
> countries.
> Does this means that some English wikipedia pages could be breaking the law
> in France ?

In short, no, but IANAL, TINLA, etc. (i.e., if you need a definitive
answer, consult a lawyer). Also, I'm glossing over a lot of the
details.

The images (and other media: video, audio) are separate files: they
are not part of the database dumps. All of the text in each wikipedia
can be reasonably expected to be free, and can be considered to be a
single work.

Each image (etc.) is an individual work, and can carry its own
licensing terms. Usually, these are similar in spirit to cc-by-sa, or
less restrictive. Some wikipedias will tolerate (i.e., they are
discouraged, but permitted) non-free images (and some don't - the
Polish Wikipedia does not allow any non-free images). In the case of
the English Wikipedia, most of these are low-resolution reproductions
of 'important' images, and are flagged as being used under the 'fair
use' doctrine.

A complication here is public domain images, because what is and isn't
in the public domain varies greatly from territory to territory.
Something published before 1923 will typically be in the public domain
in the US, but may not be anywhere else.

> And what about languages spoken in different countries ?
> Do DBpedia dumps for English pages only abide by the US regulation or does
> it take the most restrictive over all English speaking countries ?

The Wikimedia Foundation is based in the US, as are the Wikipedia
servers, so to a greater or lesser extent, US law applies to all
wikipedias (there may be local wikimedia foundations that correspond
to a particular language's edition of wikipedia, which adopt a set of
rules more appropriate to their location, but the servers are still in
the US).

--
<Sefam> Are any of the mentors around?
<jimregan> yes, they're the ones trolling you