HI Somesh Jain,

I wanted to know if there is any limit on querying DBpedia per day i.e. the number of queries per day or per hour. I am querying using sparql .

Yes, since http://dbpedia.org/sparql is on a publicly accessible site, there are some limits set in terms of:

  * the number of connections/queries per second per IP address
  * the number of seconds a query can run for
  * the number of triples returned per query

We regularly review the log files to check for abuse, and will try to contact the person(s) behind the IP address to discuss the issue. In worst case we (temporarily) block IP addresses from accessing the server, to make sure the site remains usable by everyone else.

Based on the review of the log files, we also make decisions about the values we use to make sure there is a good balance.

As for the number of queries you can perform, currently there should not be any problem to do like 10-20 requests per second from an IP address. If you happen to go over the limit, you will receive an HTTP 503 status code, to indicate the server is temporarily not available. Your application should be able to handle such status codes and in this case it would be appropriate to wait like couple of minutes (sleep) before continuing, at which point the rate lock on your IP address has been lifted.

However should we see a huge amount of rate limit messages in the error logs indicating an app does not look at the status codes returned by the endpoint, we reserve the right to block that IP, until we can contact the culprit, or they contact us either via this mailing list or me directly:

        pkl...@openlinksw.com

Note that all the software behind dbpedia.org as well as the data is freely available for anyone to setup a local database, or use a pre- configured Amazon AMI
for completely private querying.

Let me know if you have any more questions,

Patrick
--
OpenLink Software