I think I could get this data out of some API,  but there are great
HTML 5 parsing libraries now,  so a link extractor from HTML can be
built as quickly than an API client.

There are two big advantages of looking at links in HTML:  (i) you can
use the same software to analyze multiple sites,  and (ii) the HTML
output is often the most tested output of a system.  This is
particularly a problem in the case of Wikipedia markup which has no
formal specification and for which the editors aren't concerned if the
markup is clean but they will fix problems if they cause the HTML to
look wrong.

Another advantage of HTML is that you can work from a static dump
file,  or run a web crawler against the real Wikipedia or against a
local copy of Wikipedia loaded from the database dump files.

--
Paul Houle
Expert on Freebase, DBpedia, Hadoop and RDF