Gerard

==============

A common project for Wikidata and DBpedia

Gerard Kuys, February 12, 2014

At the Dutch Chapter meeting at the 1st DBpedia Community Meeting in Amsterdam,
we decided to embark on a trajectory of closer collaboration with the Wikidata
project. The idea was to compare datasets and think of ways to mutually improve
data quality by way of comparing one dataset to another. The monuments dataset
was suggested to be one of the candidate datasets.

In order to determine further steps to be taken in this collaboration effort,
Gerard Meijssen of Wikidata contacted the GLAM ‘liaison officer’ of the Dutch
Wikimedia Foundation, Sebastiaan ter Burg. With Sebastiaan and with Hay Kranen,
Wikipedian in residence at the Royal Library of the Netherlands, I had a
fruitful conversation on Tuesday, March 11.

On the path towards better quality of data, both Wikidata and DBpedia encounter
obstacles to be cleared away. At Wikidata, Hay has pleaded for including the
Dutch (and German?) PPN identifier for books, authors and keywords into the
list of external identifiers that is kept within Wikidata. However, this
proposal was rejected so far, on the grounds that it was insufficiently clear
to the Wikidata project members what exactly this NTA field (as it is known in
Wikidata circles) would contribute. At DBpedia, on the other hand, we meet with
the problem of registering data about people’s gender, which cannot be
extracted from Wikipedia articles due to editors’ policies and has to be
obtained by way of linking to external datasets. The major issue to be solved,
however, is how to overcome the boundaries between content compartments that
spring from institutions’ collections being separately donated or otherwise
brought into Wikipedia (either the encyclopedia or Commons). What we need is
finding a way of constructing relations between content across domains. By
doing so, we probably also would facilitate the feedback loop donating
institutions are eagerly waiting for.

When trying to settle for the domains that are most fit for comparison between
Wikidata and DBpedia, we identified two domains: Writers’ and Monuments’ data.
As a first step, we would want to make comparable dumps of data from either
source, and work out an approach for finding all kinds of omissions and errors,
and mending them. To be overly ambitious, however, as soon as this work has
been done, we would want to take the bolder step and link both domains one to
another: how could we find the relations (and translate them into RDF(S)
properties) expressing the semantic relation between a person (mostly writers)
and any building he or she has had a (documented) connection with.

Being the GLAM liaison within the Wikimedia Foundation, Sebastiaan is keen to
foster this endeavour wherever possible. He will be offering all kinds of
support Wikimedia can provide: meeting rooms and the paying of travel expenses.
Wikimedia could also provide due publicity, which might be helpful if we would
want to attract volunteers who could help monitor data quality wherever there
is no automated way to do so.

The main work to be done yet remains with the Wikidata and DBpedia communities.
We agreed that we would better limit the number of meetings between (working
groups within) both communities. Nonetheless, a kick-off meeting would be nice,
and useful to have. We think of two types of meetings:

1.     *  An initial meeting to set up a working approach, identify, divide and
attribute work to be done

2.    *  One or several follow-up meetings to discuss progress and tackle
problems that have arisen and cannot possibly be solved by way of skype
conferences. This kind of meeting could be held within the framework of
ordinary Wikimedia meetings, like the Wiki Saturdays.

As soon as both Dutch Wikidata and Dutch DBpedia communities will have approved
of this approach (or rather – this is what we hope for), a date for the initial
meeting could be fixed.

Disclaimer
Dit bericht met eventuele bijlagen is vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor
de geadresseerde. Indien u niet de bedoelde ontvanger bent, wordt u verzocht de
afzender te waarschuwen en dit bericht met eventuele bijlagen direct te
verwijderen en/of te vernietigen. Het is niet toegestaan dit bericht en
eventuele bijlagen te vermenigvuldigen, door te sturen, openbaar te maken, op
te slaan of op andere wijze te gebruiken. Ordina N.V. en/of haar
groepsmaatschappijen accepteren geen verantwoordelijkheid of aansprakelijkheid
voor schade die voortvloeit uit de inhoud en/of de verzending van dit bericht.

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and are solely intended for
the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
and delete and/or destroy this message and any attachments immediately. It is
prohibited to copy, to distribute, to disclose or to use this e-mail and any
attachments in any other way. Ordina N.V. and/or its group companies do not
accept any responsibility nor liability for any damage resulting from the
content of and/or the transmission of this message.