Well,  I got to Allen's algebra of intervals because I was concerned about
how to deal with all of the different date time formats that are specified
in XSD.  All of these can be treated,  correctly,  as either an interval or
a set of intervals.

Note there are modelling issues that go beyond this.

For instance,  I still say we retain the birth date and death date
properties even though you could model somebody's life as an interval.
There are lots of practical reasons,  but one of them is that I know my
life is not an open ended interval although it looks like that now.

Using this is a practical theory of time I can usually figure out what I
need to know.

I can say,  however,  if a person has a birthdate in Freebase of Jan 1, X,
 odds are far less than 0.5 that the person was born on that day.  Thus,
 if I want to say anything abut people born on Jan 1, X and not look like a
fool,  I need to go through those facts and figure out which ones I
believe.  Thus,  in some cases the data is really broken and energy must be
spent to overcome entropy.